Saturday, July 30, 2005

Mind Freak (or not)

While I've read tons of opinion about this show, I've refrained from voicing my own. In my case, it could be only a matter of bad timing, but I like to think that having a contrast was a good thing in this case. I am talking about the fact that during the time Mindfreak has been airing, I have also been watching episodes of Derren Brown's "Trick of the Mind." Those of you who've heard Mike Close speak about the intelligence of Penn and Teller's magic will understand more clearly, but I'll do my best to get my point across.

My intent is not to do a compare and contrast of the two shows, but merely to show that the Derren Brown offering is intended for a more intelligent audience. For goodness sake, do we really need people on fire here (in the U.S.) in order to feel a sense of drama in a magical performance? Do we really need Criss Angel saying, "Totally impromptu," as he walks to the front of a bus, when we know that his 'card on the windshield' was anything but? Ditto the Frisbee thing, that just seems to hover in place because Criss is 'always thinking' - yeah, right. As we suffer through several false starts, are we in a dramatically better place when Criss FINALLY does get hoisted up in a wine barrel? Did all of the delays make us wonder even more if he would really get out alive? Please understand that none of this is intended as an attack on either Criss or his show, but more that the networks believe their audience to be such mindless idiots that all we want to see is fire and someone's life in danger. As far as the networks are concerned, THAT is real magic.

Derren Brown's show gives us drama, wonderful pacing, and even tension. I have no idea what English audiences think of the show, but I will say this - their Channel 4 at least gives them credit for having a brain in their heads. For goodness sake, Derren even does the blockhead, and it is presented with style! I have tried to pace my way through the shows on the DVD, and it has been difficult doing so, because it is intelligent magic, presented intelligently. He doesn't present himself as being above it all, nor does he present himself as being able to warp the very dimension of space and time like certain boobs with names such as John and Edward. Crossing over indeed! Even his disclaimer allows his audiences to possess a certain amount of intelligence, and in one of his shows Mr. Brown mentions that he prefers working with people of higher intelligence - there are more preconceptions of which to take advantage.

I am happy that we are actually seeing some magic on American television lately, but Alain Nu is much better than the network allowed him to be, and this Mindfreak is being presented as "Magic for emotionally fragile idiots." In both cases, it can be done better, especially with some of the people who have worked on the shows. When you can boast of people like Bob Fitch, Johnny Thompson, and Lance Burton, and Luke Jermay, the magic should be better. I am tired of levitation - show me some magic. I am tired of fire - show me some magic. I am tired of loud commercials with cut-ins that look like they were designed by the same folks who worked on Carnivale - show me some magic.

I have hopes that since the network bigs are turning back on in regard to magic that the quality will get better. I am hoping that at some point, they will hire someone like Derren Brown, or some other top quality magician who will say "No," when the director says, "And then we will set you on fire." There will be a big stand - off, and this talented magician will finally say, "You hired me to give you my best. Get out of the way and let me give it to you." Then, we'll get the magic we should be watching. For now, all I can do is slip in the DVD of Trick of the Mind, and show my*self* some magic. Let me know what you thing, will you?

2 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger BULLSEYE said...

You said it!

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger TG said...

waw.. i'm sooo curious about the show..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home